Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A group photo


Click on the photo to enlarge!

Here's a picture of some forest berries in their natural habitat. Starting from the top left corner: blue 'dusty' berries are bog bilberries (Vaccinium uliginosum). The blue shiny - and shy (see how it's hiding behind the green leaves?) - berry on the top right is a bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus). The red berries are lingonberries (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) , and the bright yellow one is a cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus), of course.

I'm sorry to report that wild strawberries (Fragaria vesca L) had already left the stage by the time we took the picture, and that cranberries (Vaccinium Oxycoccus) were yet to turn red, and in any case stubbornly grew few meters from the above spot, so they didn't fit into the picture..

* Before Ximena came to Estonia, I promised to take her to pick wild mushrooms and forest berries. The above photo is taken about 10 days ago on our joint forageing trip. I think she - and her hubby J. - were pleased.

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

ALL those in the same spot! Even if you couldn't get the cranberry in, that's really fun!

Gracianne said...

You really live in the berry country. I have never seen those before in France, except maybe for bilberries, but I am not sure they are exactly the same as our "myrtilles".

Susan from Food Blogga said...

How berry wonderful! :)

Alyssa said...

I love your pictures of berries with such great names too! I have to say that I absolutely love lingonberries and go to great lengths to find them here in the US and it's usually only in jelly form. There's nothing like them on pancakes.

Pille said...

Tanna - I agree. It was too good a photo opportunity to miss:)

Gracianne - Estonia is a good berry country indeed:) As far as I know, then bilberry is indeed what you know in France as airelle/myrtille (although blueberry translates as myrtille, too. I guess you need to bite into a myrtille and see if it's whitish or dark purplish inside:)

Susan - thank you!!

Alyssa - you should be able to find lingonberry jam in IKEA - at least that's where I headed in Scotland whenever I suffered from lingonberry-hunger:)

Jeanne said...

Wow - coming from a country where berries are not big, it's astonishing to see som may different berries in one spot! And seeing the bilberries made me think of this weekend when Johanna came over for a venison BBQ and brought bilberry sauce. My friend Cecil was opening the (unopened) jar and... the sauce flew out all over my carpet! Not an easy colour to disguise either... Picture the scene: one hostess on her hands and knees with damp kitchen towel drenching the stain, one panic-stricken guest holding the offending jar thinking I might throw him out of the house, and the remainder of the guests (and J's 3 kids) milling around, offering advice and generally being concerned. All this when the started was already plated up and on the table!! All I can say is that Vanish carpet cleaner is my new hero :)