Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Festive Menus: Spanish Royal Couple visits Estonia


Photo © Õhtuleht

Almost two years ago, President of Estonia went on a State Visit to Spain, where they were treated to a festive Spanish meal. This week, the King and Queen of Spain, Juan Carlos I & Sofia, are on a return visit to Estonia. The festive state dinner took place last night atthe Estonia Concert Hall. Eighty local dignitaries were treated to a meal designed by Jevgeni Jermoshkin. Here's what they ate:

Official dinner at Estonia Concert Hall
on May 4, 2009


Tallinn sprats with rye bread, quail's egg and tomato vinaigrette

Cream of beetroot soup with potato-barley ball and sour cream mousse

Halibut with basil and cauliflower risotto and sparkling wine jus

Warm rhubarb tart with chocolate-covered ice cream and Vana Tallinn liqueur sauce


Sounds all rather delicious, IMHO. Too bad I wasn't invited :D

PS Curious to know what the Queen of England or the Emperor of Japan and other foreign dignitaries were served on their official visits to Estonia? Click on the Festive Menus label on the right hand side to find out.

7 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

I had to reread this post, to determine that you hadn't attempted to feed the poor souls a "Spanish" meal when they visited Estonia. Having experienced the Scottish interpretation of Mexican ... I was quite sympathetic.

Not after I reread, however. ;)

lobstersquad said...

what, not invited? the beetroot princess? what are these palace pr people thinking?!?!?!?

Pene said...

And what is the scandal reported in today's papers all about concerning the Estonian President's wife? And I don't like what she did to her hair!

Anonymous said...

Mmm The food sounds excellent, wouldn't halibut and cauliflower risotto be a bit pale together though.
I like the President's wife's hair, it suits her.

Unknown said...

That you invitation was lost in the mail was undoubtedly an unfortunate accident.

Ibán said...

Leave it with me; I'm definitely going to have a word or two with Juan Carlos...how dares he not invite you!!! Disgraceful event ;)

As a Spaniard, do accept my apologies, and pass me on the cream of beetroot!

Rachael Narins said...

I think they should have invited you too! Then you could tell us what a potato-barley ball is like!

xoxo