Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Zucchini Rolls with Herb-Marinated Mozzarella Balls



Given that so many of you were interested in my recipe for Zucchini Rolls with Goat's Cheese aka "Makis" au Chèvre that I served on the Easter table, I wanted to share a recipe for another kind of Zucchini Rolls that I served on my Birthday table. This time the courgette slices are blanched first, and the goat cheese has been replaced by herb-marinated mini mozzarella balls. The ones available here are aboiut the size of a large cherry tomato, so I used medium-sized courgettes/zucchinis. If you get hold of really small mozzarella balls, you may want to use smaller courgettes to wrap them in..

Zucchini Rolls with Herb-Marinated Mozzarella Balls
(Suvikõrvitsasse mähitud ürdised mozzarellapallid)
Adapted from Finnish food magazine Glorian Ruoka & Viini
Makes about 30



2 packets of mini mozzarella balls, drained
2 medium sized green courgettes/Zucchinis

Herb marinade:
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp white balsamic or white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh herbs (I used chervil and chives)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

In a medium-sized bowl, mix finely chopped herbs, olive oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Add mozzarella balls and stir gently, until they're coated with the herb vinaigrette. Leave to stand for 30 minutes, stirring couple of times:



Wash the courgettes/zucchinis. Take a vegetable peeler and cut thin long strips of the courgette, first along the lenght of one side, when seeds appear, then another side. Blanch them in a salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and place in a bowl of cold water to cool.



Drain the zucchini slices. Take one slice at a time, and put a herb-marinated mozzarella ball at one end. Roll up, and place on a serving tray. Continue with the rest of the zucchini slices and mozzarella balls.

Sprinkle with some sea salt flakes, herbs and crushed black peppercorns and serve.

6 comments:

franmouse39 said...

This is such a lovely idea. And they're so pretty!

Roxy said...

I'll try both recipes once I start harvesting my courgettes. Still a long way to go. x

Amy said...

This is a great idea. Thanks! : )

thepassionatecook said...

finally! i have been waiting for this recipe! will be makig it this weekend, when we're putting out a spread for carolin and my traditional eurovision feast ;-)

Mai Mai said...

Hi, I chanced upon your blog and love your recipes. They're all so interesting. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blog roll. :)

Cookie and Kate said...

I've been looking for easy appetizers and your zucchini rolls certainly fit the bill! Beautiful and delicious, too, I'm sure!